Thursday, November 24, 2011

To Prom or not to Prom, that is the Question


Back in high school I opted out of prom. Why should someone as evolved as I, participate in such a sexist, capitalistic rite of passage? Hardly any of my friends were going, it was expensive and would likely be a spend the night feeling socially awkward. I considered pulling a Molly Ringwald in Pretty in Pink and going just to prove a point.  She looked super cool in her custom-handmade dress, had the company of the always entertaining Ducky and Andrew McCarthy decided that he wanted to be with her after all. It was possible that I could have a good time, but I wasn't willing to risk it. The years passed.  Entire decades passed and for some mysterious reason, I couldn't get over the fact that I missed prom.  

“You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened... or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the fuck on.”Tupac Shakur

I tried to move on. That didn't work. I tried to move the fuck on. That didn't work either. Twenty two years late or not, I needed a prom. I had a milestone birthday coming up in a year. What better way to usher in a new decade than having a prom-themed birthday party? I bashfully mentioned this idea to a few friends.  They thought it was a great idea (or at least were willing to indulge me). I was giddy with excitement and nervous energy! Would anyone show up? Would it be hokey? Would it be the prom of my dreams? Would it fill that prom-less void in my life? Oh my! I'm forty and I'm going to the prom!

 Tupac and I. This photo was taken at the site of my future prom..

No comments:

Post a Comment