Wednesday, June 8, 2011

25 Random Fitness Things

In the spirit of the facebook topic that caught on like wild fire a couple years ago, here are 25 random fitness things about me.

1.  I went to the store in my cycling jersey tonight and decided that if I could get away with it, I'd wear a cycling jersey on a regular basis.  I can easily stuff anything I need in my jersey pockets and carry on with my activities in a hands-free manner.  Brilliant!  The fashion world really needs to catch on to this.

2.  I stretch out after every workout be it a swim, bike, run or lifting session.  It never takes more than 5 minutes to cover the basics.  It became a habit after running with my marathon training group.

3.  The only electrolyte replacement drink that I like and drink is GuBrew.  I mix it at half strength so it's not too sweet or calorie rich.  My preferred Gu flavor is Vanilla, but I'll also eat Just Plain.  No other flavors will do.  I'm not too crazy about Chomps but I like Shot Blocs.  A wise woman advised me to cut those big Shot Blocs into quarters and they are much easier to chew up while running.

4.  When I became a runner, I decided I didn't like wearing underwear under my running pants, shorts or skirts and opted to go commando instead.  It was liberating!  Next thing I know, I'm going commando in my non-workout attire as well.  Look ma, no pantie lines or wedgies!

5.  I quit listening to my iPod while running after I was injured a year ago.  I felt iPods delivered unnecessary noise and distractions to what should be a mindful activity.  I'd rather be in tune with my body and listen to the sounds of nature and meditate while doing solo runs.  As much as I enjoy chatting away the miles with my running partner, running buddies and husband, I still need at least one or two solo workouts a week.  The solitude is good for my soul.

6.  I went from suffering through 5Ks to running half marathons, thanks to my friend Gloria who was my half marathon momma inspiration.  From there, I moved onto and grew to love marathon distance.  I skipped 10Ks altogether.  I've considered running one, but can't bring myself to running what seems like such a terrible distance. 

7.  My husband and I are avid readers and runners.  We have an entire shelf of books about running and regularly check out books about athletic endeavors.  Most of the DVDs that we own are sporty ones.  I can't tell you how many times we've seen Rocky, Pre, Prefontaine, Point Break or Saint Ralph.  What can I say? We're geeky jocks.  Oh, and I hate the movie "Chariots of Fire".  So boring!

8.  I love early morning workouts.  I prefer to start between 5:30 and 7:00 AM.  They energize me and set a positive tone for the day.  I like getting my workout out of the way and having the rest of the day to do what I want or need to do.  I tend to bail out on afternoon running or if I manage to do it, I more often than not feel sluggish, whiney and get queasy.  Biking and swimming in the afternoon doesn't seem to have that same effect on me.  Since my husband has a regimented training schedule as well, we have to jockey for that prime morning workout time.

9.  I record each and every workout in a spiral bound training log.  I find it helpful for troubleshooting aches, pains and changes in my energy and motivation.  It also helps me to know when I need to buy new shoes and remember courses/workouts I enjoyed.  I tend to round up on my mileage.

10.  My clothes horse ways has transferred into my running wardrobe.  I love workout attire!  Running and cycling in skirts are cute, comfortable and flattering.  I love wearing them.

11.  I have run three marathons.  Portland 2008, Eugene 2009 and Eugene 2010.  Portland will always be memorable because I found a dildo en route to the start line and it rained the entire four plus hours I ran.  My favorite marathon was Eugene 2009 because it was fun, easy and was run entirely with a buddy from my marathon training group.  I PRd with each subsequent marathon. 

12.  I have yet to DNF in a race, but the 50K that I DNSd still makes my heart ache.  I had trained hard and was prepared for the race but an injury prevented me from running it and running at all for 10 weeks. 

13.  Crossing the 8 mile mark for the first time was a huge running milestone for me.  I was so scared that I wouldn't be able to do it, that I took my cell phone with me and asked my husband to carry the home phone around with him in case I needed him to come pick me up in the car.

14.  On the above mentioned run, as I ran by Valley River Center Mall, I was tempted to skip the run in favor of getting cinnamon roll at Cinnabon and talking to my sister on the phone.  I decided against it because I knew my husband would be waiting for a full report on how my run went and I didn't want to have to lie to him or confess that I didn't run it.

15.  I have a terrible sense of direction.  On a 12 mile training run, I got lost and disoriented.  I went back and forth on the same section of the bike path three times and considered crossing Beltline Hwy to get on the correct side of town before calling my husband to get directions.

16.  I have a strong aversion to being winded and feeling discomfort and pain on speedy or hilly runs.  I'd rather suffer slightly for a long time than suffer dearly for a short time.

17.  I didn't get my first bike until I was 20 years-old.  It was a mountain bike that I still have today.  18 years later, I bought my second bike, a beautiful road bike.  Now I never ride my mountain bike because it is so clunky and slow.  I have my eyes on a cyclocross bike, a good mountain bike and a commuter bike with an expander for the kids to ride on.  I am shocked at how much I love cycling now that I have a decent bike.

18.  In my marathon training group, a nutritionist gave us a talk about fueling.  One thing that sunk in was that for maximum recovery benefit, one should refuel within 30 minutes of a workout.  I have adopted this a "rule" and immediately eat after workouts whether I'm hungry or not.

19.  My favorite recovery foods are dependent upon how hard and how long I work out.  For anything close to or over two hours I go for eggs.  Burrito Amigo breakfast burritos on my way home from the trails, juevos rancheros if I have the luxury of eating at a restaurant after a run/bike/event or a fried egg sandwich with veggie sausage or faken bacon if I eat at home.  Between one and two hour long workouts, I tend to go for smoothies.  My favorite is a chocolate soy milk, banana, strawberry.  For less than an hour long workout, I just eat my regular breakfast.

20.  I always drink coffee before running in the morning, but never drink coffee before swimming in the morning.  Interestingly, running seems to counteract the caffeine so I need to drink more coffee after my run.

21.  At the age of 38, I learned how to surf.  It was love at first shred.  I am completely outfitted to surf and thanks to my dad, I own three surfboards.  I check the surf reports at least on a weekly, but often daily basis, year round.  I haven't surfed since last September and I want to surf so badly I can taste it.  I am a total beginner and paddle around and wipe out more than ride waves, but I love it.

22.  My favorite distance to run is between eight and ten miles.  That is when the endorphins start kicking in.  The first mile and sometimes up to the first three miles, feel awkward and cumbersome, by mile three or four I loosen up and get into my running rhythm.  With eight to ten milers you don't have to worry too much about extra equipment, clothes, water or Gu, you can just enjoy the run. 

23.  Out of my gazillion race shirts, only two fit me well.  I am bitter about it.  I pay for these shirts and run these races but can't wear the shirts.  Why do they have to make/provide shirts for athletic people that are so flippin' huge? 

24.  My hips often get out alignment which results in one of my legs being longer than the other.  This in turn, leads to all sorts of butt, leg and foot issues if I don't correct it right away.  I require regular treatments from my chiropractor and/or my acupuncture/herbalist to keep my body "tuned-up"

25.  I connect and love my running friends dearly.  There is a special bond that comes with logging hours and hours worth of miles alongside someone.  My running partner Laura has a special place in my heart.  I am so glad that our paths crossed not just once, but twice two years ago.  I'm not sure where I would be if I didn't have such a compatible, fun person to run with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment